Tuesday Evening Away Runs 2013

What was your training today? Find a training partner? Questions and tips.

Tuesday Evening Away Runs 2013

Postby Andy Wolfenden » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:37 pm

Hi Everyone,

Having felt a breath of Spring this last couple of days, I thought it was time to consider the away run programme for this year.

I’ll be organising 4 Tuesday away runs this year to coincide with dates that are free from other club events.

The runs are all off road, on good tracks, and at a steady pace. We meet at 7.00 pm.

The idea is to have a social run and maybe run with people that you don’t usually run with in your Tuesday group. Pace is geared to the slower runners, quicker runners are more than welcome so long as they observe my re-grouping ethic.

After each run we retire to a local pub for refreshments.

Here are some dates for your diaries :
JUNE 4th - Dob Park – 6.5 miles through the Washburn Valley with a nice hill to finish – Afterwards to Otley and Maypole Chippie and Weatherspoons

JUNE 18th – Sharp Haw from Skipton – 9 miles – Afterwards Bizzie Lizzie’s Chip Shop and Narrowboat Pub

(TENNIS CLUB CLOSED) - JULY 9th – Barden Moor from Halton Heights ( if weather is bad we’ll change the route ) – 8.5 miles – Afterwards – Elm Tree Pub Embsay

(TENNIS CLUB CLOSED) - JULY 30th – Barden Bridge around Keld and Parsival Hall – 8 miles – Afterwards to The Swan in Addingham Chips & Doorstep sandwiches courtesy of Ilkley Harriers AC

I will post full details a week or so before each run, and look forward to seeing you all there.

Cheers

Andy Wolfenden
Andy Wolfenden

Re: Tuesday Evening Away Runs 2013

Postby Andy Wolfenden » Mon May 27, 2013 5:56 pm

Hi Everyone,

Next Tuesday sees the first of the 4 away runs scheduled for this summer.

These away runs give the opportunity to run with people you don’t usually run with in your regular Tuesday group, and are planned as social rather than training runs. They are suitable for most abilities, and faster runners are very welcome as long as they re-group for we slow ones.

They are all trail runs and are mostly over good tracks.

The first run is at Dob Park, this is the shortest at just over 6 miles.

We meet in the lay-by which is situated on a minor road just off the Otley to Blubberhouses road. GR196493 at 7.00 pm. Parking is available for quite a few cars here, but please share transport wherever possible.

We drop down through the fields from Dob Park to Lindley Wood, run past the reservoir and finish with a nice hill back up through Dob Park.

Afterwards we will be heading for the Maypole chip shop in Otley followed by a visit to Wetherspoons.

I look forward to seeing you all there.

Andy Wolfenden
Andy Wolfenden

Postby Andy Wolfenden » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:48 pm

Sharp Haw away run Tuesday June 18th

Hello everyone,

I think that everybody enjoyed last week’s Dob Park away run; about 25 of us I think.

The only blip was, believe it or not, that Wetherspoons ran out of beer.

On Tuesday week we tackle Sharp Haw from Skipton, this is the longest away run at a little over 9 miles.

As usual everyone is welcome as long as you can jog along for 9 miles.

We meet in the canal-side car park behind the Aghrah curry house at 7.00 pm sharp, parking is free after 6.00 pm.

We run through Skipton woods, across the golf course through the forestry and ascend Sharp Haw through the rhododendrons; let’s hope for a clear evening.

Apres run consists of a visit to Bizzie Lizzie’s chip shop followed by drinks in the Narrow Boat pub. Let’s hope they haven’t run out of ale.

I look forward to seeing you all there.

Andy Wolfenden
Andy Wolfenden

Postby Andy Wolfenden » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:50 pm

Hello Everyone,

Our next away run is tomorrow week, July 9th, and this time it’s a run of about 8 miles that covers a good portion of Barden Moor.

We meet by the cattle grid at Halton Heights, the high point on the Barden to Embsay road, at 7.00 pm. There is ample parking here or in the vicinity, but it’s always best to share transport if possible.

The run is over good tracks but wild country, so if the weather is particularly bad I might change the route.

Everyone is welcome as long as you can do the distance. Re-grouping is always implemented for we slow ones.

Apres run is a return to Bizzie Lizzie’s chip shop in Skipton and then to the Narrowboat pub.

See you all there.

Andy Wolfenden
Andy Wolfenden

Postby Andy Wolfenden » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:56 am

Hello Everyone,

Tuesday next week (July 30th) is the 4th and last summer away run.

In a change to the original plan, and by popular request, we are doing the Simon’s Seat run which we haven’t done for a couple of years. The ascent will be by a different route this year.

Overall distance is about 8 miles, quite a stiff climb, but hopefully the views from the summit will be worth it.

Meet at the parking area next to Barden Bridge at 7.00 pm. Pease share transport because space could be limited.

IH has generously agreed to provide chips and sandwiches FOR MEMBERS at the Swan in Addingham after the run.

Oh and bring some midge repellent.

See you all there.

Andy Wolfenden
Andy Wolfenden

Postby donmacrae » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:18 pm

For anyone who's interested I may do a shorter,flatter run from Barden Bridge this evening.
Any takers?
Also I can give/accept a lift.
Ring 862785 before 5-15, 603222 5-45 to 6-30

Don MacRae
donmacrae

Return to Training