Rothwell 10k

News, reports, teams, comments on races, car shares.

Rothwell 10k

Postby andywiggans » Mon May 04, 2009 1:04 pm

Reputed to be one of the quickest 10k's around these parts, Vic and I set set off for Rothwell via Chez Lawrence B with hopes high. After getting lost in Leeds spirits had dropped slightly, but once the venue was discovered we got parked and began the now traditional Verecondi Magical Lavatory Tour, with Vic sampling gents' at both the start and finish locations. If anyone's interested he declared the ones at the start a more bijou and characterful dunny, but the speed and convenience of the sports centre loos made up for what they lacked in aesthetics. Lawrence and I stood outside waiting patiently...

Vic's "preparations" completed we lined up in a fairly narrow road outside the school in decidedly un-springlike wet and windy weather. A congested start led to a hooning couple of k's downhill, with all three of us somewhat surprised by how fast we were going. After 3k I noticed my right shoelace had come undone, so stopped to retie it, cursing myself for forgetting to double knot it. As a supposedly intelligent man, the obvious thing to do would be to have checked my other lace and make sure it wouldn't come untied as well - but being a bit of a maverick (or you may prefer the word "idiot")I didn't - so sure enough 4k later I had to stop again and do the other one.

This is one fast course - I stopped my watch with the time on 37:59.99 - but the "unofficial" results have me a few seconds slower at 38:04, a PB by 1:04, proving that 68 miles on the bike the day before AND stopping to tie your laces is the ideal warm up for a fast 10k. I'm not sure whether tying laces actually loses any time, as I pretty quickly got back with the group I'd been with, but maybe I left a few seconds out there on the road. Ho hum.

Lawrence steamed in with 36:13 and Vic with a new PB of 42:48 (all unofficial results - may be updated later).
andywiggans

Re: Rothwell 10k

Postby andywiggans » Mon May 04, 2009 4:36 pm

For those that were waiting breathlessly for the correct official results Lawrence was 36:14, I was 38:02 and Vic was 42:46. A pair of PBs for Team Embsay - and a couple of seconds quicker than initially thought. Hurrah.
andywiggans

Return to Racing