England Athletics membership cards

Messages to and from the Management Committee of Ilkley Harriers

England Athletics membership cards

Postby Shirley » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:48 pm

I guess this is a question for Eddie, but maybe someone on the committee can update me. Ilkley registered all its members with England Athletics back in May/June so why haven't we all received our membership cards yet? I know the EA system is completely rubbish (and getting worse), but it seems that members are needing their URN number to enter races. I believe other clubs have them and let's face it the club pays £5 per member annually and this level of service isn't acceptable. The junior ones came through in October but it was after a number of phone calls and e-mails.
Has any Senior member of Ilkley Harriers actually received their EA membership card yet?
Shirley

Re: England Athletics membership cards

Postby HenryH » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:20 pm

I got mine a few weeks ago.
HenryH

Postby Soobedoo » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:30 pm

I too got mine a few weks ago with a load of bumff.
Soobedoo

Postby Eddie Winslow » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:14 pm

I have not received my card yet.

I have all the numbers on the membership database. All members have had their membership number, which is all that you actually need to enter a race. They were printed on this year's membership renewal form and explicitly referred to in the October 2008 newsletter in which the form was included.

Many members clearly did not read the form, and presumably not the newsletter either. I am receiving plenty of emails and calls today from members claiming never to have received their number.
Eddie Winslow

Postby Paul » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:35 pm

I haven't had a card in the post.
The card itself is useful - some shops that give Harriers a discount want to see a membership card, and that's not unreasonable.

So Shirley is right, what the HECK are England Athletics doing with these cards? They should have sent them out a very long time ago.

Point taken about the #, Eddie, but even though I had been told the # was on the membership form I didn't remember to make a note of it. Doh. Me and 62% of Harriers I guess. Can we have it again please, maybe on the newsletter stickers? Or maybe a big list at the Do?
Last edited by Paul on Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

Postby ClareandBetty » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:28 am

I received my card very recently. I understand there's a lot of change going on at UK Athletics at present (redundancies etc apparently). I wonder if that has anything to do with the slow service.
Re newsletter list- I think we must have missed the Oct issue. We sometimes fail to get our newsletter as we don't often go to the club on a Tuesday night. It has been really useful recently to be able to collect the newsletter from circuit training on a Monday so thanks to whoever brings them there!
ClareandBetty

Postby Shirley » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:17 am

The idea of a national membership scheme was a very unpopular idea from the start (clubs voted against the introduction of a membership scheme), so it was in the interest of EA to get it right. Two years on, EA are still having problems with it and in my opinion it's a complete mess. I don't know whether Eddie has had problems registering the seniors, but I do the junior registration and it's been a complete nightmare. Any system should be intuitive and easy to understand and this one is far from it. If the system worked we should all have received our EA membership cards long before any knowledge of re-organisation and redundancies. I am guessing that they're sending them out in batches alphabetically so I'll probably have to wait a while for my card. Maybe someone can let me know what letter we're up to.
Shirley

Postby Eddie Winslow » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:31 am

In terms of registering seniors all I am doing now is adding new members onto the database when they join. It took me several emails to get someone from UKA to explain how to do this because it was not clear on the UKA portal and there were no obvious help notes to explain it. Once on, each new registered runner is assigned a registration number and I email this to them.

If the new member is already on the database I cannot transfer them to Ilkley. I have to email EA admin to get them transferred. Depending on who picks up the email this is either a straightforward process or gets bounced back with questions about whether they have completed the transfer process and paid their £10. I have pointed out to EA that most of our former members don't even formally resign and there is no way they are going to pay £10 for the privilege of a bit of bureaucracy they regard as pointless. If this is what happens when they leave us then I'm sure the same applies to other clubs as well. The response was "rules is rules and they will have to wait 2 years to be eligible for teams". I am therefore fully expecting a large backlog of incorrect registrations to build up on the database as people change clubs but do not bother with the UKA transfer process. Eventually this should lead to the collapse of the current system from within, although this may take a bit of time.

Now, who would like me to start on my views of their accounts department and the random number generator used in their invoice production process?
Eddie Winslow

Postby Shirley » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:10 pm

You're definitely having a worse time than me. If you ever get to a point where you understand how it works could we get together and go through it. Thanks
Shirley

Postby BGSec » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:37 pm

Pretty clear that they haven't got to "W" yet, my card hasn't landed, yet all the others in the family have (Cs and E).

And I haven't made a note of my number........... :(
BGSec

Next

Return to Committee