More Mile Cheviot 2 trail shoes - my initial thoughts

For members to sell to members, opinions and comments about gear. etc.

More Mile Cheviot 2 trail shoes - my initial thoughts

Postby Fell Fiend » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:25 pm

Quick informal review in case anyone is weighing up options for new shoes!

After wringing the very last signs of life out of both of my training pairs of Inov-8's, I was looking for a decent replacement for less than the price of an arm and a leg. Tricky selection as I wanted something reasonably light with good grip which would stand up for a lot of miles through all weathers. After trawling the internet sales I couldn't find anything I was happy with so taking a chance I picked up a pair of More Mile Cheviot 2 trail shoes from the Start Fitness guys at Stanbury Splash. The price? £30!!

Initially I was a little bit sceptical as they looked a bit heavy and chunky, but although I don't know the exact weight I would estimate they are 300g or slightly less, based on how they feel compared to all the Inov-8's i've worn over the years. I don't really notice i'm wearing them which must mean they're not too heavy on the end of my spindly legs! The grip is based on the Mudclaw so lots of deep lugs, but on short road sections they don't feel clumpy at all and although they're comfortably cushioned, they feel great on the trail.

I've so far used them on the Chevin and Ilkley Moor (including some steep terrain) in the snow and ice and also the past few days in some pretty dire mud and waterlogged conditions. So far they haven't failed me once and i've felt confident even on the steeper stuff, definitely a useful grip above and beyond shoes such as Inov-8 Roclites or Salomon Speedcross. Admittedly it's more grip than I would usually train in but for £30 i'll try ought once.

I always buy 10.5 in any shoe and initially they felt a little bit narrow around the toe but they've eased off nicely and i've had no discomfort. The laces are very simple but actually stay fastened in wet & muddy conditions unlike all the other shoes i've tried.

The toes are really well protected, and a mesh upper seems to allow them to drain well. There is a small amount of unprotected mesh on the sides which could wear through if regularly catching it on rocks etc, but I haven't had them long enough to find out, and thats no different to other shoes on the market. And my reasoning was that I could buy 3 pairs of these for 1 pair of Inov-8 or Salomon's, so if they last even 6 months i'll be in 'profit'.

I thought I would post this quick review as I trawled the internet and couldn't find much. If you're thinking of buying new shoes I would recommend you at least consider these. I love Inov-8's too much to leave them behind for racing, but for a training shoe I think the Cheviots are ideal. Kelly bought some too and raced in them straight away in the snow at Stanbury Splash and she was really happy with them, so happy she's banished her Mudclaw 330's to the back of the wardrobe.

Give me a shout if you have any questions.

Anyone else been trying out any new kit lately?
Who climbs with toil, wheresoe’er, shall finds wings waiting there
Fell Fiend

Return to Sales and Wants, Gear questions