Harriers Race League 2011

Messages to and from the Management Committee of Ilkley Harriers

Harriers Race League 2011

Postby neil chapman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:27 pm

What races to include??

Despite there still being a couple of races left in this years league, we are thinking about the races to include for 2011. It may seem straightforward, but if you asked 300 members for 18 races each the chances are there would be very few with the same 18 races.

The general principle we have worked to for the bulk of the races is to look at the number of Harriers who have competed in certain races each year and based it on their popularity whilst ensuring we cover all distances as much as possible. Some runners are better over short distances, some thrive on longer races. Where there have been a number of popular races in a category, then we have tried to rotate them. However, there can be other reasons to sway towards a particular race, perhaps because it is an anniversary, a new race from a local club, or in the case of Ben's Race it was an opportunity to support a race which was promoting a cause.

We want to discuss at the next committee and then get the races agreed and published before the start of 2011, then everyone has the opportunity to plan their races and gain entry for any popular races. So, if anyone has any races they would like to suggest for next year can they let me know either through the forum or ring me, and give me some detail to support why it would make a good race.

Thanks Neil Chapman
neil chapman

Re: Harriers Race League 2011

Postby Ali_B » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:25 pm

Could I suggest the Oldfield Fell race. Andrew and I did it a couple of years ago and looking at the FRA magazine this month, Graham Breeze was Ilkley's only rep this year. It is a cracking race - not too long, not too steep (ie actually runable) and across a mixture of mainly off road terrain (has boggy bits). Starts and finishes in a pub, entry on day, local and supports charities.

from the write up, it sounds as though it could do with some support
Ali_B

Postby Fell Eagle » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:55 pm

A suggestion is that one of the fell races is the Yorkshire Championship race that Dave Woodhead runs - which unfortunately has not been publicised yet. It would be supporting Dave's race and it would be great to have a good turnout of Ilkley runners in the local championships. It usually is one of the English championship races but as none are in Yorkshire this year so it could be anywhere in Yorkshire I suppose!

Another suggestion would be the Cop Hill Fell Race at Meltham in November - this is a friendly two lap race - mixture of track, road, hills 9and (usually mud!). It is an open race for all ages but usually includes the Yorkshire Vets Fell Race - where I am sure lots of our harriers could feature in the medals!

Alison
Fell Eagle

Postby Paul » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:08 pm

As Alison says the Yorkshire Champs would be a good counter, in 2011 it's the 4 mile race at Kettlewell on 29 Oct. Info on woodentops.org.uk
Paul

Postby sharon meadows » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:49 pm

The Wharfedale off road half marathon in June would be a good race. it is well organised, undulating with a couple of long uphills and beautiful scenery. The full marathon is also on the same day.
sharon meadows

Postby Paul » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:31 pm

The list discussed at the last Committee meeting is on the League page.
Note some races are quite early in the New Year or require pre-entry.
League Page
Paul

Return to Committee